Patterson Companies, Inc. (Nasdaq: PDCO) today reported operating results for the first quarter of fiscal 2013 ended July 28.
- Consolidated sales increased 5% to $889,225,000 from $847,422,000 in the year-earlier period.
- Net income of $47,538,000 or $0.45 per diluted share, compared to $48,610,000 or $0.42 per diluted share in the first quarter of fiscal 2012. Net income in this year’s first quarter was affected by the absorption of $3.2 million of incremental interest expense related to Patterson’s debt issuance in the third quarter of fiscal 2012.
Sales of Patterson Dental, Patterson’s largest business, increased 6% from the year-earlier period to $567,392,000 in this year’s first quarter.
- Sales of consumable dental supplies and printed office products increased 1% in the first quarter, excluding the 0.6% negative impact related to Canadian currency exchange rates.
- Sales of dental equipment and software rose more than 19% from the year-earlier level, driven by double-digit sales increases of both CEREC® dental restorative systems and basic equipment.
- Sales of other services and products, consisting primarily of technical service, parts and labor, software support services and artificial teeth, increased 3% from last year’s first quarter.
Internally generated sales of the Webster Veterinary unit increased more than 10% in the first quarter. A change in a distribution agreement for nutritional products late in last year’s fourth quarter reduced Webster’s first quarter sales growth by approximately six percentage points, while the August 2011 acquisition of American Veterinary Supply Corporation added 2.5 percentage points of sales growth. Reflecting these factors, Webster’s first quarter sales increased nearly 6.5% to $191,090,000. Sales of Patterson Medical, the rehabilitation supply and equipment unit, declined 3% to $130,743,000, due primarily to weakness in its equipment business. The impact of negative foreign exchange rates largely offset the nearly 2% sales contribution from Patterson Medical’s April 2012 acquisition of Surgical Synergies Pty Ltd., a distributor of physiotherapy, rehabilitation and mobility products serving the Australian and New Zealand markets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV