BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- Even if it doesn't feel like it, 2012 has been a good year -- heck, even a banner year -- for stock investors. So far this year, the S&P 500 has rallied more than 12.68%, and it's only August. If that price action continued until year-end, we'd be talking about a nearly 21% year for Mr. Market.
Those don't happen all that often, especially in the last decade.
And dividend payouts are making up a significant part of that return right now. Dividends have tallied up to more than 12% of the S&P's returns year-to-date, a number that looks even more significant when you consider the fact that the S&P's climb hasn't exactly been a straight line. When equities fell hard in the second quarter, dividends were all that kept most investors from falling into the red. That's a valuable safety net to have.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV