Semtech Corporation (Nasdaq: SMTC), a leading supplier of analog and mixed-signal semiconductors, today reported unaudited financial results for its second quarter of fiscal year 2013, which ended July 29, 2012.
Net revenue for the second quarter of fiscal year 2013 was $150.7 million, up 15.7 percent from the second quarter of fiscal year 2012 and up 29.2 percent from the first quarter of fiscal year 2013. Second quarter revenue included a full quarter of revenue from the Gennum acquisition, which closed on March 20, 2012. Revenue attributable to the Gennum product group was $35.3 million.
Gross profit margin, computed in accordance with U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), for the second quarter of fiscal year 2013 was 49.5 percent compared to 60.4 percent in the second quarter of fiscal year 2012 and 47.4 percent in the first quarter of fiscal year 2013. GAAP gross profit margin for the quarter was negatively impacted by a $17.7 million purchase accounting adjustment related to inventory acquired from Gennum, which lowered GAAP gross margin by 11.7 percentage points.
GAAP net income for the second quarter of fiscal year 2013 was $10.0 million, or approximately 15 cents per diluted share. This compares to GAAP net income of $27.1 million or 40 cents per diluted share in the second quarter of fiscal year 2012 and GAAP net income of $2.2 million or 3 cents per diluted share in the first quarter of fiscal year 2013.In the second quarter of fiscal year 2013, Semtech recognized a GAAP tax benefit of $11.3 million primarily as a result of the regional tax impact of purchase accounting adjustments related to the Gennum acquisition. This tax benefit positively impacted GAAP diluted earnings per share by approximately 12 cents. To facilitate the complete understanding of comparable financial performance between periods, Semtech also presents performance results net of certain non-cash and one-time items. Semtech's non-GAAP results exclude the following items:
- Stock-based compensation expense
- Acquisition related fair value adjustments
- Option and restatement related expenses
- Transaction and other acquisition related items
- Intangible amortization and impairments
- Restructuring and integration related expenses
- Release of prior accrued taxes on foreign earnings
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV