Tilly’s, Inc. (NYSE: TLYS) today announced financial results for the second quarter of fiscal 2012 ended July 28, 2012.
For the thirteen weeks ended July 28, 2012:
- Total net sales for the second quarter were $105.1 million, an increase of 20.4% compared to the second quarter in the prior year. Comparable store sales, which include e-commerce sales, increased 5.1%. E-commerce sales were $9.8 million, an increase of 22% compared to the second quarter in the prior year.
- Gross profit increased 21.1% to $31.1 million. Gross margin was 29.6%, a 10 basis point increase over the second quarter of fiscal 2011.
- Operating loss on a GAAP basis was $3.3 million, including a one-time, non-cash charge to SG&A expense of $7.6 million, before tax, to recognize life to date compensation expense for stock options which was triggered by the consummation of the Company’s initial public offering in the second quarter.
- The annual tax rate for the second quarter was 33.6%. The quarter also included, as expected, a one-time net tax benefit of $1.0 million resulting from the Company’s conversion from an “S” Corporation to a “C” Corporation, the result of a $3.0 million deferred tax benefit and a nearly $2.0 million tax provision charge.
- On a GAAP basis, net loss was $1.2 million, or $0.04 per share, based on a weighted average share count of 27.3 million shares, which includes the non-cash charge to SG&A and the one-time net tax provision benefit mentioned above. This compares to net income of $3.5 million or $0.17 per diluted share based upon 20.5 million weighted average diluted shares in the second quarter of fiscal 2011.
- Adjusted net income for the quarter increased 49.3% to $2.6 million, or $0.09 per weighted average diluted share, compared to an adjusted net income of $1.7 million or $0.09 per weighted average diluted share in the second quarter of 2011. These results adjust GAAP net income for the one-time, non-cash compensation charge to SG&A, assume an expected long-term effective tax rate of 40% for both this year and last year periods, and add back a charge for on-going non-cash compensation expense for stock options of $0.6 million, before tax, to the second quarter of 2011, which equals the charge for on-going non-cash compensation expense in the second quarter of 2012.
- At the conclusion of this press release is a reconciliation of GAAP to non-GAAP results.
Daniel Griesemer, President and Chief Executive Officer, commented, “Our second quarter results were ahead of plan and reflected our continued focus on achieving sustainable, long-term, quality growth. Solid comp store sales gains along with prudent fiscal and inventory management resulted in a 49% increase in adjusted net income during the quarter. The strong performance was broad based across geographies and real estate venues. We are particularly pleased that the new stores opened this year are performing well above our expectations, demonstrating the strength of the Tilly’s concept on a national basis. We believe our progress also continues to validate the relevance of the Tilly’s brand and our unique business model that focuses on offering relevant brands and styles to our customers, and we believe we are well positioned for continued success in the second half of 2012 and over the longer term.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV