Cellular tower stock SBA Communications (SBAC) owns a chunk of the mobile infrastructure spread throughout North and Central America. By leasing antenna space to wireless carriers, the firm has built a business that others dream of: It's chock full of recurring revenues, it's recession-resistant, and more capacity is very much in demand right now. But that hasn't kept shorts from hiking SBAC's short interest ratio up to 10.8.
SBAC gives carriers a way to increase the number of bars subscribers get without increasing their debt loads -- building a cellular network is capital-intense to say the least. But SBAC's growth has been staid and measured, keeping its balance sheet manageable as the firm expands in size.>>5 Stocks Poised for Breakouts The biggest tailwind for SBA Communications right now is demand. The proliferation of smart phones has greatly increased the bandwidth needs of cellular operators, driving up the number of sites that SBAC can build and economically justify. Because the firm is the smallest tower operator of the big three, it's got ample room to stretch out its network footprint. Financially, SBAC is in solid shape. Obviously, the cell tower business isn't cheap, and it's no surprise that this firm has financed its network primarily with debt. But the debt load is more than manageable, especially given the prolonged low interest rates that firms are enjoying right now. As SBAC continues to throw off cash (and buyback shares and pay down debt), the short case is going to be harder to keep going...
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV