10 Rules for Back-to-School Online Shopping
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The heart of back- to-school shopping season, the second biggest shopping time of the year, means everyone is out to score a great deal on clothing, notebooks, electronics and the usual necessities that come along with the new school year.
It's no surprise that more and more consumers are hunting for those back-to-school deals online. Almost 40% of consumers will shop online during the back-to-school shopping season, compared to just over 21% in 2007, according to the National Retail Federation. But just because the migration to the web for outfitting today's student is now established, it doesn't mean consumers have learned the best ways to find online deals.
Whether you're shopping for a grade school kid or a college student in need of a new laptop, TheStreet has compiled 10 must-know rules for finding the best back-to-school deals.
1. Coupons now come in 140 characters: use Twitter
Retailers are taking to social media sites to offer special coupons and alert consumers to sales. Aside from following your favorite stores on Facebook and Twitter, the website
When shopping online you're at a disadvantage in the sense that you can't physically see the product, as you would at a traditional bricks-and-mortar store. To get the most for your money when shopping online, it's important to learn as much about the product as possible. "Sometimes products will have similar prices, while their specs are on opposite ends of the spectrum. To combat this, use sites such as
If only we could purchase everything at a discounted sale price, instead of discovering an item went on sale five minutes after we bought it. If you haven't been too successful lately at predicting when an item hits the sale rack, use history to help. To get over that hump, the website
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV