On Tuesday the Round Rock, Texas-based company reported revenue of $14.5 billion, down from $15.7 billion in the same period last year, and below analysts' forecast of $14.64 billion.
Excluding items, Dell earned 50 cents a share, compared to 54 cents a share in the prior year's quarter. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were looking for earnings of 45 cents a share.
With PC sales under pressure, Dell expects its third-quarter revenue to slip between 2% and 5% sequentially. Excluding items, the HP (HPQ) rival also adjusted its full-year earnings guidance to $1.70 a share, which includes a 2- to 3-cent dilutive impact from Dell's pending acquisition of Quest Software (QSFT). Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters were looking for earnings of $1.90 a share.Dell shares plunged 5.35% to $11.68 in pre-market trading. The no.2 PC maker was also the most active pre-market Nasdaq stock on share volume of 564,161. The Dell numbers also weighed heavily on shares of no. 1 PC maker HP, which reports its third-quarter results after market close. HP shares were down 2.41% to $19.45 before market open. Intuit (INTU) shares crept up 0.93% $59.50 after the tax preparation and accounting software specialist's fourth-quarter results, released after market close on Tuesday. The TurboTax and QuickBooks maker reported earnings of 3 cents a share and revenue of $651 million. Analysts were looking for earnings of 6 cents a share on revenue of $652.5 million. TheStreet will be live-blogging HP's third-quarter results and conference call, starting at 3.45 p.m. ET: -- Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out our new tech blog, Tech Trends. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV