American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. (NYSE:AEO) today announced income from continuing operations increased 62% to $0.21 per diluted share for the second quarter ended July 28, 2012, compared to $0.13 per diluted share for the comparable quarter last year. Due to the closure of the 77kids business, results are presented as discontinued operations for all periods and are further discussed below. Net income for the second quarter, which includes a loss from discontinued operations, was $0.09 per diluted share, compared to $0.10 per diluted share last year.
Robert Hanson, chief executive officer stated, “While pleased with our results, and therefore raising our annual outlook, we continue to drive for long-term performance improvement through fortifying our brands, further strengthening our products, marketing and customer experience, enhancing operational disciplines and pursuing growth across North America."
Non-GAAP Second Quarter Results – Continuing Operations (Excluding 77kids)
The following discussion of second quarter results excludes Non-GAAP adjustments comprised of tax benefits and restructuring costs as presented in the accompanying GAAP to Non-GAAP reconciliation.
- Net sales increased 11% to a record $740 million, compared to $669 million last year.
- Comparable store sales, including AE Direct, increased 9%, compared to a 1% increase last year.
- Gross profit increased 17% to $277 million, or 37.4% as a rate to sales, compared to $236 million, or 35.3% as a rate to sales, last year. Decreased product costs and markdowns led to a 120 basis point improvement in the merchandise margin. Buying, occupancy and warehousing costs improved 90 basis points due to strong sales.
- Selling general and administrative expense of $178 million, which excludes $4 million of restructuring costs, improved 40 basis points to 24.0%, compared to 24.4% last year.
- Excluding restructuring costs, operating income increased 76% to $67 million. The operating margin expanded to 9.1% compared to 5.7% last year.
- Adjusted EPS from continuing operations of $0.21 compared to $0.13 last year, a 62% increase. Results exclude restructuring costs of $0.02 per diluted share, offset by $0.02 per diluted share of tax benefits.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV