American Eagle Outfitters, Inc. (NYSE:AEO) today announced income from continuing operations increased 62% to $0.21 per diluted share for the second quarter ended July 28, 2012, compared to $0.13 per diluted share for the comparable quarter last year. Due to the closure of the 77kids business, results are presented as discontinued operations for all periods and are further discussed below. Net income for the second quarter, which includes a loss from discontinued operations, was $0.09 per diluted share, compared to $0.10 per diluted share last year.
Robert Hanson, chief executive officer stated, “While pleased with our results, and therefore raising our annual outlook, we continue to drive for long-term performance improvement through fortifying our brands, further strengthening our products, marketing and customer experience, enhancing operational disciplines and pursuing growth across North America."
Non-GAAP Second Quarter Results – Continuing Operations (Excluding 77kids)
The following discussion of second quarter results excludes Non-GAAP adjustments comprised of tax benefits and restructuring costs as presented in the accompanying GAAP to Non-GAAP reconciliation.
- Net sales increased 11% to a record $740 million, compared to $669 million last year.
- Comparable store sales, including AE Direct, increased 9%, compared to a 1% increase last year.
- Gross profit increased 17% to $277 million, or 37.4% as a rate to sales, compared to $236 million, or 35.3% as a rate to sales, last year. Decreased product costs and markdowns led to a 120 basis point improvement in the merchandise margin. Buying, occupancy and warehousing costs improved 90 basis points due to strong sales.
- Selling general and administrative expense of $178 million, which excludes $4 million of restructuring costs, improved 40 basis points to 24.0%, compared to 24.4% last year.
- Excluding restructuring costs, operating income increased 76% to $67 million. The operating margin expanded to 9.1% compared to 5.7% last year.
- Adjusted EPS from continuing operations of $0.21 compared to $0.13 last year, a 62% increase. Results exclude restructuring costs of $0.02 per diluted share, offset by $0.02 per diluted share of tax benefits.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV