- Net sales increased 11% to a record $740 million, compared to $669 million last year.
- Comparable store sales, including AE Direct, increased 9%, compared to a 1% increase last year.
- Gross profit increased 17% to $277 million, or 37.4% as a rate to sales, compared to $236 million, or 35.3% as a rate to sales, last year. Decreased product costs and markdowns led to a 120 basis point improvement in the merchandise margin. Buying, occupancy and warehousing costs improved 90 basis points due to strong sales.
- Selling general and administrative expense of $178 million, which excludes $4 million of restructuring costs, improved 40 basis points to 24.0%, compared to 24.4% last year.
- Excluding restructuring costs, operating income increased 76% to $67 million. The operating margin expanded to 9.1% compared to 5.7% last year.
- Adjusted EPS from continuing operations of $0.21 compared to $0.13 last year, a 62% increase. Results exclude restructuring costs of $0.02 per diluted share, offset by $0.02 per diluted share of tax benefits.
American Eagle Outfitters Reports 62% Increase In Second Quarter EPS
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.