Southwestern Energy Company Stock Buy Recommendation Reiterated (SWN)
- ACTIVE STOCK TRADERS: Check out TheStreet's special offer for Real Money, headlined by Jim Cramer, now!
- The gross profit margin for SOUTHWESTERN ENERGY CO is rather high; currently it is at 59.40%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -81.40% is in-line with the industry average.
- SWN, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 0.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues fell by 21.6%. Weakness in the company's revenue seems to have hurt the bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- SOUTHWESTERN ENERGY CO has exprienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. We feel it is likely to report a decline in earnings in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SOUTHWESTERN ENERGY CO increased its bottom line by earning $1.82 versus $1.73 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 31.9% in earnings ($1.24 versus $1.82).
- Despite currently having a low debt-to-equity ratio of 0.48, it is higher than that of the industry average, inferring that management of debt levels may need to be evaluated further. Despite the fact that SWN's debt-to-equity ratio is mixed in its results, the company's quick ratio of 0.52 is low and demonstrates weak liquidity.
- The share price of SOUTHWESTERN ENERGY CO has not done very well: it is down 15.74% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it is one of the factors that makes this stock an attractive investment.
--Written by a member of TheStreet Ratings Staff.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts