MCLEAN, Va., Aug. 22, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Sunrise Senior Living, Inc. (NYSE: SRZ) announced today that it has entered into a definitive merger agreement under which Health Care REIT, Inc. (NYSE: HCN) will acquire all of the outstanding common stock of Sunrise for $14.50 per share in an all-cash transaction. The transaction is not subject to any financing contingency. The transaction represents a 62.4 percent premium to Sunrise's closing stock price on August 21, 2012, and was unanimously approved by the Sunrise board of directors.
"We are most excited to achieve such a strong return for our shareholders while we forge a new relationship with a world class health care real estate owner/investor," said Mark Ordan, Sunrise's chief executive officer. "We are proud that Health Care REIT has chosen to invest in our team and looks to us as partners going forward."
"We are very pleased that Sunrise, a leader in premier care to seniors, is becoming part of our portfolio," said George L. Chapman, Health Care REIT's chairman and chief executive officer. "This transaction, with its high-quality assets, positions us to build on our collaborative, relationship-based investment philosophy and benefit from the ongoing transformation of the sector."
The transaction, which is subject to regulatory approvals, customary closing conditions and approval by Sunrise's shareholders, is expected to close in the first half of 2013. If the transaction does not close on or prior to February 21, 2013, as a result of certain closing extension rights which may be exercised by Health Care REIT, Sunrise shareholders will be entitled to receive additional transaction consideration during the period beginning on February 21, 2013.Goldman, Sachs & Co. and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. served as financial advisors, and Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz as legal advisor to Sunrise.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV