SYDNEY (AP) â¿¿ BHP Billiton Ltd., the world's biggest miner, said Wednesday its annual profit plunged more than a third as a slowdown in global economic growth led to weaker prices for its key commodities.
Net profit for the 12 months to June 30 was $15.4 billion, down 34.8 percent from $23.6 billion in the same period a year ago, Melbourne-based BHP said in a statement.
Revenue for the year rose 0.7 percent to $72.2 billion, from $71.7 billion last year.
Immediately after releasing the results, BHP announced it was delaying a plan for a massive $30 billion expansion of its Olympic Dam uranium and copper mine in southern Australia.CEO Marius Kloppers cited lower commodity prices and higher capital costs as reasons behind the delay. The company said it will explore the possibility of a less expensive expansion instead. BHP blamed its performance on sharply lower commodity prices and high write-downs on its shale gas and nickel assets. In the short-term, BHP said it anticipates more volatility in commodity markets amid weakness in the manufacturing and construction sectors. "However, in the medium term we expect supportive economic policy and a broad growth bias, particularly in China, to lead to measured improvement in the external environment beginning in the first half of the 2013 financial year," the miner said. BHP declared a final dividend of 57 cents a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV