As our ag and geo membrane businesses continue to grow we expect to move to an even more diversified base. Deliveries of geo membrane films for environmental protection were particularly strong in F2Q, stemming from a reservoir project that we recently completed in Ohio. We anticipate that geo membrane films will be a rising part of our market mix for this division due to the critical need to protect water and environmental resources.
Within Engineered Films we’re committed to further enhancing margins and profitability, and we’re accomplishing this by reducing scrap, improving operating efficiencies and implementing a strong pricing policy. While plant utilization rates continue to rise according to plan, we do have extrusion capacity to further grow this business which we intend to do through R&D investments in new growth opportunities as well as enhancements to our existing product line.
Moving on to Applied Technology, sales grew 13% compared to the same period last year. This was another record and accounted for 39% of total sales. However, operating income was down 2% due to the relatively higher sales of lower margin products and an increased investment in research, marketing, and product development. As you may recall, our F2Q 2012 results were over 100% increase in operating income, which made a very challenging comparable period for the current year F2Q.
As I talked about last quarter, we announced the realignment of our Electronic Systems Division. I’m pleased to report that the realignment is complete. As a result, approximately 75% of Electronics Systems sales went to Aerostar in F2Q and the balance to Applied Technologies. All sales and operating income amounts we talk about on today’s call reflect the realignment for current and prior periods.Read the rest of this transcript for free on seekingalpha.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV