Fifth Third: Dividend and Buyback Winner
The Cincinnati lender's shares had risen slightly to close at $14.39 on Tuesday, but were up 4% in aftermarket trading, after Fifth Third announced that its revised capital plan had been approved by the Federal Reserve.
Fifth Third's board of directors authorized the repurchase of up to 100 million shares through the first quarter of 2013 -- worth $1.4 billion at Tuesday's close -- on top of the remaining 14 million shares authorized for repurchase under the company's previous buyback plan. The company also announced a "potential increase of the quarterly common stock dividend to $0.10 in the third quarter of 2012."
Fifth Third currently pays a quarterly dividend of eight cents a share, for a yield of 2.22%.The Federal Reserve in March had only partially approved Fifth Third's annual capital plan, which included an increase in the dividend on common shares and repurchases of common shares. The Fed only approved the company's plan to repurchase $1.4 billion in trust preferred securities and repurchases of common shares in amounts equal to after-tax gains from the sale of shares in Vantiv (VNTV), Fifth Third's former payment processing subsidiary, which went public during the first quarter. Fifth Third's shares have now returned 14% year-to-date, following an 11% decline during 2011. The shares trade for 1.2 times their reported June 30 tangible book value of $11.89, and for nine times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $1.54, among analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. The consensus 2012 EPS estimate is $1.58. Please see TheStreet's earnings coverage for details on Fifth Third's second-quarter results. JPMorgan Chase analyst Vivek Juneja has a neutral rating on Fifth Third, with a price target of $17.50, and said Monday that "FITB's stock valuation is in line with
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV