BROOMFIELD, Colo., Aug. 21, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Vail Resorts, Inc. (NYSE: MTN) announced that it has received approval from the U.S. Forest Service for a 543-acre terrain expansion in the Peak 6 area of Breckenridge Ski Resort. Peak 6 will include 400 acres of lift-served terrain and 143 acres of hike-to terrain. The Company expects to open the new terrain for the 2013-2014 ski season, including adding a new high-speed, six person chairlift and a new fixed-grip chairlift to access the Peak 6 area.
"Peak 6 will be a tremendous addition to Breckenridge, significantly improving the guest experience by adding both new terrain and lift capacity," said Rob Katz, chairman and CEO of Vail Resorts. "In addition, the new terrain provides access to intermediate runs and high alpine bowl skiing that will be enjoyed by a wide variety of our guests."
The approval came in the form of a Record of Decision by the US Forest Service after completing a Final Environmental Impact Statement, a process which began with project scoping in 2007. The decision remains subject to appeal for 45 days.
Peak 6 is the first ski terrain expansion on U.S. Forest Service land in Colorado since 2008 and the first at Breckenridge since the Peak 7 expansion in 2002.About Breckenridge Ski ResortWith four huge peaks, 2,358 acres, five terrain parks, two halfpipes, eight bowls, the highest chairlift in North America, family-friendly terrain, and a world-class ski school, all situated above an authentic, hip mountain town with awe-inspiring views, there are good reasons why "Breck" is one of the most popular ski resorts in the Western Hemisphere. Renowned for the welcoming spirit and friendly character of their locals, with over 200 restaurants, bars, and shops, and numerous year-round activities and events, Breck embodies more than just a destination, inspiring a way of life. www.breckenridge.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV