NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Shares of AM Castle & Co. surged Tuesday on news that billionaire investor Tom Gores' private equity firm bought a 6.1 percent stake in the metal and plastic product supplier and might be interested in buying the company.
Gores is founder and chairman of the Beverly Hills, Calif.-based private equity firm Platinum Equity. Platinum owns a variety of technology and manufacturing companies, including steel processor Ryerson Inc., which also was listed in the filing as part of the investment group buying the stake in AM Castle.
In a filing submitted to the Securities and Exchange Commission late Monday, Platinum said it made the investment in order to engage in talks with Oak Brook, Ill.-based AM Castle about possibly acquiring the company. It plans to review the company finances periodically and may choose to increase or sell off its stake at some point down the road, the filing said.
AM Castle shares rose $1.45, or 15.7 percent, to $10.67 in heavy afternoon trading, after peaking at $10.95 earlier in the session. The company's shares dropped from a recent peak of $14.20 on May 1 to a 52-week low of $6.99 on Aug. 1, and have since started to climb back.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV