Goldman Sachs noted that Microsoft has been among the top 10 names on the list for each of the past 46 quarters. Microsoft stock appears as a top-10 holding for 47 funds and accounts for an average portfolio weighting of 6%.
Microsoft shares have outperformed the Nasdaq and the S&P 500 this year, climbing 19%. Investors are excited about Microsoft's new operating system, Windows 8, which runs on chips from Intel (INTC) and processors using ARM Holdings' (ARMH) design for the first time in Microsoft's history.Investors have trained their eyes on the Microsoft Surface, the company's answer to the iPad, as both Microsoft and Google try to chip away at Apple's dominance. Microsoft has not released pricing details of the Windows 8 tablet, though CEO Steve Ballmer did say it would be "competitive." Microsoft said the device will be available for sale Oct. 26. Interested in more on Microsoft? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. Follow TheStreet Tech on your wireless devices. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV