S&P 500 Three-Month Implied Volatility is Extremely Low
WEBINAR: Designing and Implementing a Retirement Plan CLICK HERE FOR INVITE AND TO REGISTER.
The sharp decline in market volatility has directed a lot of attention to low readings in the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX). Given all of the plausible scenarios for market turmoil not that far in the future, traders have been wondering: Isn't VIX at least a tad underpriced? Nicholas Colas from ConvergEx responds:
"In practice, the VIX measures expected changes in stock prices over the next 30 days. That's it. It is heavily informed by recent actual volatility, as I noted. A VIX reading of 14 shouldn't make anyone, anywhere, feel more confident about what will come down the road in October or beyond. It is simply the relative assurance that the weather will be clear tomorrow."
So, just because VIX is low, it doesn't mean that the market is ignoring or is complacent about risks whose timing is more than 30 days out.If you want to make the case for complacency, though, longer-dated options tell an interesting story. The attached chart shows 3-month S&P 500 VIX-style implied volatility, which is published under the ticker VXV. I've also plotted the long-term mean of this index, which is 27.55.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV