Quest Software Adds Physical Server Backup And Restore Capabilities To VRanger
Quest Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: QSFT)
With virtualization now the norm in the data center, a growing number of organizations are augmenting their legacy physical backup tools with modern technologies purpose-built for the virtual environment. A recent Quest Software survey indicates that 86 percent of organizations use two or more backup products to protect their physical and virtual machines. The same survey, however, indicated that more than half of organizations would ultimately prefer a single solution. Responding directly to customers’ desire to reduce multi-product complexity while still implementing best-of-breed VMware backup, Quest has enhanced vRanger® to deliver complete protection for virtual and physical environments.
Tweet This: Quest Software adds physical server backup and restore capabilities to vRanger. http://bit.ly/MHgvwr
Quest Software today unveiled vRanger 6.0, the latest version of the
company’s market-leading virtual data protection solution. Known for
delivering best-of-breed backup, replication, and recovery for VMware,
vRanger now goes a step further by giving customers the ability to
back up and restore physical Windows servers, thus delivering
comprehensive, single-source protection for both virtual and physical
- Already VMware Ready ™ certified for vSphere 5, vRanger 6.0 delivers OS support for Windows Server 2003 and 2008, and also will support Windows Server 2012 upon its release to market. In addition, vRanger 6.0 provides application consistent snapshot backups for a number of Microsoft applications, including Exchange, SQL Server, SharePoint, and Active Directory via Microsoft’s VSS.
- vRanger 6.0 enables physical server backup by deploying distributed agents that send data directly from source to repository, thus delivering enhanced scalability by eliminating an extra step and bottlenecks in the backup process.
Leveraging capabilities it has long provided for the virtual
environment, vRanger 6.0 delivers a host of features designed to
simplify backup and recovery of physical servers as well, including:
- Online backups that eliminate the impact of the backup window on production applications
- Application-consistent backup copies of transactional servers such as Microsoft Exchange and SQL Server
- Full, incremental, and differential backups to reduce the amount of data backed up
- Quest’s patented Active Block Mapping technology, which speeds backups and reduces storage space by reading and writing only active blocks of data
- Resource management that enables users to optimize job results by dialing performance up or down in accordance with available resources and bandwidth
- Native cataloging that enables “one click” recovery by allowing users to find and recover files quickly with keyword and wildcard searches
- vRanger 6.0 now also features French and German language support, delivering increased usability to customers in those countries.
- Virtual machine licenses for vRanger 6.0 will be priced at $769 on a per-CPU basis, while physical machine licenses will be priced at just $300 on a per-server basis.
- vRanger 6.0 will be generally available in the fourth quarter of this year. Attendees of VMworld 2012 in San Francisco can preview the upcoming release by visiting Quest booth 717 on the show floor at the Moscone Center.
- John Maxwell, Vice President, Product Management, Data Protection, Quest Software“With vRanger 6.0, customers can finally implement best-of-breed protection for their VMware environments without having to sacrifice the convenience and simplicity of a single-source, single-vendor solution. Unlike legacy physical backup solutions, vRanger was architected specifically for the virtual environment, and unlike niche, virtualization-only backup solutions, it now provides the ability to protect the physical machines organizations have yet to virtualize. We believe this functionality fills a major gap in the backup market, and we’re thrilled to deliver the combined virtual and physical protection that our vRanger customers have made clear they wanted.”
- Jason Buffington, Senior Analyst on Data Protection, Enterprise Strategy Group“While vRanger was among the first innovators of virtualization-specific protection, it’s great to see Quest adding physical server protection as well. Customers who wholly embrace virtualization can often face a challenge when their preferred data protection solution is virtualization-only, and are forced to use a second tool to protect their few remaining physical servers. With these new capabilities, vRanger customers will be able to enjoy a single solution for their whole environment. Quest’s new capabilities and future roadmap align well with what ESG is seeing in trends towards unified protection of physical and virtual, among other data protection modernization trends.”
- Quest Software, Inc.: http://www.quest.com/
- vRanger Community: http://communities.quest.com/community/vranger
- More Quest news: http://www.quest.com/newsroom/
- Twitter: http://mobile.twitter.com/quest
- Facebook: http://www.quest.com/facebook
- LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/
- Quest TV: http://www.quest.com/tv/
- Quest news releases: http://www.quest.com/rss/news-releases.aspx
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV