Most Enterprises Did Not Make The Grade For Network Performance During The 2012 "Socialympics"
BOSTON, Aug. 20, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Users streaming live coverage of the Olympics online while at work sucked as much as 60 percent of corporate network bandwidth, and most enterprises were helpless to stop it from affecting the performance of their strategic applications, a new white paper from Exinda reports.
Dubbed the "Socialympics" for the impact that social media and the Internet had on how we viewed and stayed current with the event, the 2012 Olympic Games wreaked havoc on many enterprises around the globe. With other big social events planned for this fall – the U.S. elections, the Major League Baseball playoffs, etc. – and any unplanned events that may crop up, enterprises need to act now and prepare their networks to assure reliable user experience for the applications that are most strategic to their business.
"Cases like the City of Los Angeles pleading publicly for workers to stop using their corporate network for streaming Olympics coverage underscores the issue most enterprises face during large social events," said Brendan Reid, Vice President, Product Marketing, for Exinda, a global provider of next-generation WAN optimization and application assurance solutions. "Without granular visibility into internet traffic and the ability to apply user and usage context to prioritize all traffic, most networks don't have the control they need to assure user experience where it's needed most."To gauge the performance of your business network during the Olympics and its readiness for other large social events, enterprises should consider the following criteria for "gold-medal performance:"
- The ability to assess user and application context – Are you able to distinguish between traffic types and subtypes and within the context of users, groups and SLAs that are important to your business?
- The ability to control and prioritize traffic – Do you have the ability to dynamically throttle bandwidth based on user, application time, location, SLA and other policies automatically?
- The ability to monitor and assure user experience – Do you have monitoring in place to measure application user experience and understand how to dynamically allocate more resources in real-time when needed?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV