Improperly installed batteries, hot-plug transients, faulty connections, and reversible third party USB chargers can all generate a dangerous reverse bias or reverse transient situation as well as over-voltage spikes. These complications may lead to device failure and returns, lost revenue, and damaged brand reputations. To help protect both electronic devices and their users, Fairchild Semiconductor (NYSE: FCS) now offers a new line of low-power, application-specific, reverse polarity protection switches which also feature optional over-voltage transient protection.
The devices provide low resistance, fast response, and with nearly 50X less power consumption than a traditional series Schottky solution at 1Amp, they offer noticeable power savings all while protecting the system from dangerous reverse polarity. To simplify design and remove the guesswork, these reverse polarity protection switches have been optimized for the application to provide an easy “plug and play” implementation solution.
Part of Fairchild’s initial offering in the reverse polarity family are the FR011L5J low-side reverse polarity protector and the FR014H5JZ high-side reverse polarity protector with integrated over-voltage transient suppression (OVS). In the event of a reverse bias condition, both devices shut off power and provide a full voltage block to help protect downstream circuits.
Both protectors dissipate less than 0.02W during 1A normal operation, and less than 20µW in a 16V reverse bias event, a performance not possible with a diode solution. The low dissipation of the FR0XXX5J series significantly minimizes the need for heat sinking and allows for smaller package sizes, reduced board space requirements and lowered component costs. Additionally, the devices’ nSec scale reverse bias blocking response time blocks negative transients and other potentially damaging DC events. The FR014H5JZ and FR011L5J parts are both USB tested and compatible.For more information or to order samples, please visit: http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/FR/FR011L5J.html http://www.fairchildsemi.com/pf/FR/FR014H5JZ.html Features and Benefits FR014H5JZ
- -30V reverse polarity protection offers wide range protection from multiple common reversible sources including household, industrial and automotive DC power sources
- +32V 24-hour withstanding rating allows the device to withstand most common DC over-voltage and erroneous connection events, including IEC 24-hour 32V automotive stress tests
- 14 mΩ typical series resistance at 5V decreases power consumption, voltage drop and heat sinking board level requirements
- Integrated TVS over-voltage suppression provides downstream devices with protection from potential damage and supports removal of additional components like discrete TVS devices or over-voltage protection IC’s
- 3.3mm x 3.3mm package
- Up to -30V reverse polarity protection offers wide range protection resulting in fewer returns
- 11 mΩ typical series resistance at 5V decreases power consumption, voltage drop and heat sinking board level requirements
- +29V 24-hour withstanding rating allows the device to withstand most common DC over-voltage and erroneous connection events, including 24V truck and car double battery events
- 2mm x 2mm package
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV