Improperly installed batteries, hot-plug transients, faulty connections, and reversible third party USB chargers can all generate a dangerous reverse bias or reverse transient situation as well as over-voltage spikes. These complications may lead to device failure and returns, lost revenue, and damaged brand reputations. To help protect both electronic devices and their users, Fairchild Semiconductor (NYSE: FCS) now offers a new line of
low-power, application-specific, reverse polarity protection switches
which also feature optional over-voltage transient protection.
The devices provide low resistance, fast response, and with nearly 50X less power consumption than a traditional series Schottky solution at 1Amp, they offer noticeable power savings all while protecting the system from dangerous reverse polarity. To simplify design and remove the guesswork, these reverse polarity protection switches have been optimized for the application to provide an easy “plug and play” implementation solution.
Part of Fairchild’s initial offering in the reverse polarity family are the
low-side reverse polarity protector and the
high-side reverse polarity protector with integrated over-voltage transient suppression (OVS). In the event of a reverse bias condition, both devices shut off power and provide a full voltage block to help protect downstream circuits.
Both protectors dissipate less than 0.02W during 1A normal operation, and less than 20µW in a 16V reverse bias event, a performance not possible with a diode solution. The low dissipation of the FR0XXX5J series significantly minimizes the need for heat sinking and allows for smaller package sizes, reduced board space requirements and lowered component costs. Additionally, the devices’ nSec scale reverse bias blocking response time blocks negative transients and other potentially damaging DC events. The FR014H5JZ and FR011L5J parts are both USB tested and compatible.
For more information or to order samples, please visit:
Features and Benefits
- -30V reverse polarity protection offers wide range protection from multiple common reversible sources including household, industrial and automotive DC power sources
- +32V 24-hour withstanding rating allows the device to withstand most common DC over-voltage and erroneous connection events, including IEC 24-hour 32V automotive stress tests
- 14 mΩ typical series resistance at 5V decreases power consumption, voltage drop and heat sinking board level requirements
- Integrated TVS over-voltage suppression provides downstream devices with protection from potential damage and supports removal of additional components like discrete TVS devices or over-voltage protection IC’s
- 3.3mm x 3.3mm package
- Up to -30V reverse polarity protection offers wide range protection resulting in fewer returns
- 11 mΩ typical series resistance at 5V decreases power consumption, voltage drop and heat sinking board level requirements
- +29V 24-hour withstanding rating allows the device to withstand most common DC over-voltage and erroneous connection events, including 24V truck and car double battery events
- 2mm x 2mm package
circuit protection technology
portfolio is built upon a history of providing both innovative and traditional solutions. For customers that require traditional solutions, Fairchild is continuing to grow its portfolio of TVS, Schottky diodes and traditional PN diodes – pursuing smaller packages, higher power devices and lower Vf solutions. However, it is solutions like the reverse polarity protectors that leverage the company’s innovative track record to meet customer-specific requirements. Fairchild’s expanding circuit protection product offering further demonstrates its commitment to customer needs, innovative design and industry expertise.
US $ in 1,000 quantity pieces
Samples available upon request.
8-12 weeks ARO
To contact Fairchild Semiconductor about this product, please go to:
For information on other products, design tools and sales contacts, please visit:
Note to Editor:
For a datasheet in PDF format, please go to:
About Fairchild Semiconductor:
(NYSE: FCS) – global presence, local support, smart ideas. Fairchild delivers energy-efficient, easy-to-use and value-added semiconductor solutions for
designs. We help our customers differentiate their products and solve difficult technical challenges with our expertise in power and signal path products. Please contact us on the web at
Follow us on Twitter @
View product and company videos, listen to podcasts and comment on our blog @ http://
Visit us on Facebook @