Our dividend policy is based upon the following additional key principles:
- Pay dividends consistent with our current and future earnings potential;
- Set dividend rates that are projected to be stable and growing over time, reflecting confidence in our future financial performance; and
- Provide clarity that we intend to cover our dividend payout level with net investment income.
- Investment Ranking 1 is used for investments that are performing above expectations and/or a capital gain is expected.
- Investment Ranking 2 is used for investments that are performing substantially within our expectations, and whose risks remain neutral or favorable compared to the potential risk at the time of the original investment. All new investments are initially ranked 2.
- Investment Ranking 3 is used for investments that are performing below our expectations and that require closer monitoring, but where we expect no loss of investment return (interest and/or dividends) or principal. Companies with a ranking of 3 may be out of compliance with financial covenants.
- Investment Ranking 4 is used for investments that are performing below our expectations and for which risk has increased materially since the original investment. We expect some loss of investment return, but no loss of principal.
- Investment Ranking 5 is used for investments that are performing substantially below our expectations and whose risks have increased substantially since the original investment. Investments with a ranking of 5 are those for which some loss of principal is expected.
|June 30, 2012||September 30, 2011|
|Investment Ranking||Fair Value (thousands)||% of Portfolio||Leverage Ratio||Fair Value (thousands)||% of Portfolio||Leverage Ratio|
|(1) Due to operating performance, this ratio is not measurable and, as a result, is excluded from the total portfolio calculation.|