CAMBRIDGE, Mass., Aug. 8, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Idenix Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq:IDIX), a biopharmaceutical company engaged in the discovery and development of drugs for the treatment of human viral diseases, today reported unaudited financial results for the second quarter and six months ended June 30, 2012 and provided an update of its hepatitis C virus (HCV) development programs.
IDX184, an HCV nucleotide polymerase inhibitor
- The Company reported interim data in June for the first cohort of 31 patients from an ongoing phase IIb clinical trial of IDX184 in combination with pegylated interferon and ribavirin (PegIFN/RBV). Of the patients who achieved an extended rapid virologic response (undetectable levels of virus at 4 weeks and 12 weeks) and completed an additional 12 weeks of PegIFN/RBV (n=9), 100% of patients (4/4) in the 100 mg arm and 80% of patients (4/5) in the 50 mg arm achieved a sustained virologic response four weeks after the completion of treatment (SVR4).
- Recently an independent data safety monitoring board reviewed the safety data for this study and confirmed that the side effect profile of IDX184 combined with PegIFN/RBV is consistent with that of PegIFN/RBV alone.
- IDX719 demonstrated pan-genotypic activity in a recent proof-of-concept clinical trial in genotypes 1- 4, treatment-naive HCV patients, as reported in June. After administration of 100 mg IDX719 once daily for three days, mean maximal viral load reductions were > 3.4 log 10 in genotype 1, 3 and 4 HCV-infected patients. There was greater variability in responses among genotype 2 HCV-infected patients, who had mean maximal viral load reductions of 2.0 log 10. As previously announced, the Company is conducting pharmacokinetic and sequencing analyses to further characterize the results in the genotype 2 study cohort. In addition, more detailed findings from the study will be presented at the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) in November 2012.
- Idenix recently announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) granted Fast Track designation for IDX719. With a Fast Track designation, there is an opportunity for more frequent interactions with the FDA and the possibility of a priority review, which would reduce the length of the standard FDA review period.
- Idenix recently submitted an investigational new drug application (IND) for its drug candidate, IDX19368. Idenix expects to initiate clinical trials in the third quarter of 2012.
- Idenix entered into a development and commercialization collaboration in May 2003 with Novartis Pharma AG (Novartis). In July 2012, Novartis and Idenix amended the collaboration and executed a termination and revised relationship agreement. This agreement allows Idenix increased flexibility to optimize the value of its pipeline and to be well-positioned to develop all-oral direct-acting antiviral combination treatments with potential collaborators.
- In August 2012, Idenix issued 25.3 million shares of its common stock pursuant to an underwritten offering and received net proceeds of approximately $190.6 million.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.