LOS ANGELES, Aug. 8, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Sport Chalet, Inc. (Nasdaq:SPCHA) (Nasdaq:SPCHB), a leading operator of full-service, specialty sporting goods stores, today announced its financial results for the first quarter ended July 1, 2012.
First Quarter Summary
- Net income of $0.1 million compared to net loss of $0.8 million in the first quarter of the prior year;- First quarter returns to profitability; - Comparable store sales increased 2.9%; - Team Sales division sales up 12.5%; and - Online sales up 7.0%. First Quarter Results Sales increased $1.0 million, or 1.2%, to $83.8 million for the 13 weeks ended July 1, 2012 from $82.8 million for the 13 weeks ended July 3, 2011. The sales increase is primarily due to a 2.9% increase in comparable store sales, an improvement on top of the 2.3% increase in the same period last year. Team Sales division and online sales increased 12.5% and 7.0%, respectively. These sales increases were partially offset by a store closure which contributed $1.7 million in sales in the prior year. Gross profit decreased $0.5 million, or 1.9%, and as a percent of sales decreased to 27.9% from 28.8%, primarily due to an increase in merchandise costs, changes in the product mix, and ongoing customer satisfaction initiatives implemented in August 2011. Selling, general and administrative ("SG&A") expenses decreased $0.9 million, or 4.1%, primarily due to $0.8 million in savings from labor-related expenses. As a percent of sales, SG&A decreased to 24.7% from 26.1%. Net income for the quarter ended July 1, 2012 increased $0.9 million to $0.1 million, or $0.01 per diluted share, compared to a net loss of $0.8 million, or $0.06 per diluted share, for the quarter ended July 3, 2011. Craig Levra, Chairman and CEO, stated, "We are happy with our first quarter results as we rebounded from the unseasonably warm and dry winter weather that significantly affected our sales and profitability in the third and fourth quarter of fiscal 2012. This quarter marked the first profitable first quarter in the past five fiscal years as we improved to net income of $0.1 million from a net loss of $0.8 million last year. This result validates our belief that the consistent improvements we have made to our business over the past few years have positioned us to return to profitability for fiscal 2013."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV