A. Schulman Announces Acquisition Of ECM Plastics, Inc., A U.S.-Based Producer Of Custom Color, Specialty Additive Masterbatch And Niche Engineered Plastics Products; And Sale Of Bellevue, Ohio, Compounding Facility
The Company also announced the sale of its vinyl chloride compounding facility in Bellevue, Ohio, to Mitsubishi Chemical Performance Polymers, Inc. ("MCPP"), a wholly owned subsidiary of Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation. Terms of the sale were not disclosed; however, A. Schulman will not incur any significant gain or loss on the sale. The sale will allow A. Schulman to continue its U.S. focus on higher-value technical products in keeping with its global strategy, while MCPP will expand its presence in North America's vinyl chloride compounding market.
For more information about the pending acquisition and integration of ECM with A. Schulman, visit shlm-ecmprofile.com.
About A. Schulman, Inc.
A. Schulman, Inc. is a leading international supplier of high-performance plastic compounds and resins headquartered in
Akron, Ohio. The Company's customers span a wide range of markets such as packaging, consumer products, industrial and automotive, among others. The Company employs about 3,100 people and has 33 manufacturing facilities globally. A. Schulman reported net sales of
$2.2 billion for the fiscal year ended
August 31, 2011. Additional information about A. Schulman can be found at
Cautionary Note on Forward-Looking StatementsA number of the matters discussed in this document that are not historical or current facts deal with potential future circumstances and developments and may constitute "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements can be identified by the fact that they do not relate strictly to historic or current facts and relate to future events and expectations. Forward-looking statements contain such words as "anticipate," "estimate," "expect," "project," "intend," "plan," "believe," and other words and terms of similar meaning in connection with any discussion of future operating or financial performance. Forward-looking statements are based on management's current expectations and include known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors, many of which management is unable to predict or control, that may cause actual results, performance or achievements to differ materially from those expressed or implied in the forward-looking statements. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those suggested by these forward-looking statements, and that could adversely affect the Company's future financial performance, include, but are not limited to, the following:
- worldwide and regional economic, business and political conditions, including continuing economic uncertainties in some or all of the Company's major product markets or countries where the Company has operations;
- the effectiveness of the Company's efforts to improve operating margins through sales growth, price increases, productivity gains, and improved purchasing techniques;
- competitive factors, including intense price competition;
- fluctuations in the value of currencies in major areas where the Company operates;
- volatility of prices and availability of the supply of energy and raw materials that are critical to the manufacture of the Company's products, particularly plastic resins derived from oil and natural gas;
- changes in customer demand and requirements;
- effectiveness of the Company to achieve the level of cost savings, productivity improvements, growth and other benefits anticipated from acquisitions, joint ventures and restructuring initiatives;
- escalation in the cost of providing employee health care;
- uncertainties regarding the resolution of pending and future litigation and other claims;
- the performance of the global automotive market; and
- further adverse changes in economic or industry conditions, including global supply and demand conditions and prices for products.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts