The biggest point of differentiation between TDIV and XLK would be TDIV having no exposure to Apple (AAPL) vs. 19% for XLK. To be included in TDIV a stock must have paid a dividend for at least one year. Apple only started paying dividends this month so it would seem that Apple would be added to TDIV at the first rebalancing after one year of dividends.
Based on the current makeup of the fund it would seem that if Apple does get added it would have a 7% weight. That is still much less than 19% of course but still enough to influence TDIV's results when the time comes.
Investors should not lose sight of the notion that dividends are now very popular and popular is not always good where investing is concerned. It is not worthwhile to try to predict when or if dividend stocks will start to do poorly so much as continually monitoring dividend based holdings for signs of starting to do poorly.
At the time of publication, the author held a long position in VOD.This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV