TAIPEI, Taiwan, Aug. 20, 2012 /PRNewswire-Asia/ -- GigaMedia Limited (NASDAQ: GIGM) announced today that as a result of continued strong execution of the company's turnaround plans by new management, the company expects positive operating income in its online games business and a stronger cash position in the third quarter of 2012.
The company's turnaround plans, driven by Chief Executive Officer John Stringer, are based on effectively managing cash, driving productivity, and executing new growth plans in online games and cloud computing.
In the first quarter of 2012, to better manage cash and improve productivity, the company merged its offices in Hong Kong and began implementation of a disposal and asset optimization program targeting non-core investments and underperforming assets.
GigaMedia has continued to make progress in these efforts.In the second quarter of 2012, to further simplify its operations and reduce its cost structure, GigaMedia reduced personnel, closed its loss-making online game operations Jidi Joy in Shanghai, and initiated the disposal of its underperforming online game operations IAH Games in Singapore. GigaMedia also continued to sell part of its non-core game studio holdings. In the third quarter of 2012, the company has completed the disposal of its IAH Games business unit and continues to dispose of non-core game studio holdings. Productivity and cost savings from turnaround initiatives executed in the first half of 2012 are benefiting GigaMedia's financial performance. As a result of these actions and the timing of new game licensing revenues, management expects a quarterly sequential decrease in consolidated operating loss with positive operating income in GigaMedia's online games business in the third quarter of 2012 and an operating margin in online games of approximately 15 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV