Women Defy "We Are Women" Rally Claims; Say Let Women Speak For Themselves
WASHINGTON, Aug. 18, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- As some women gather at the Nation's Capitol today for the "We Are Women" rally, members of the advocacy group, Women Speak For Themselves (WSFT; womenspeakforthemselves.com) are making their own voices heard. WSFT began with an open letter to the White House, Congress and Secretary Sebelius in February 2012, demanding respect both for religious freedom and for an understanding of woman's freedom and equality that goes beyond "free contraception." It now has over 31 thousand signatories from every state.
"It defies reason that a few groups could speak for all women on issues of life, family, sex and religion," said WSFT founder, Helen Alvare.
"The 31,000 plus women who have signed onto our open letter will no longer sit silently by while a few political figures and their allies insist that religious freedom has to bow to the theory, the ideology really, that the centerpiece of women's freedom is sexual expression without commitment," continued Alvare.
Catherine, a woman in her twenties living in New York City and a signatory, wrote to WSFT: "Out of respect for themselves and others, many women choose to live a life of sexual integrity…Many of my girlfriends and I have found this approach to our sexuality to be freeing, empowering, and constitutive of a deep sense of happiness.""I'm a pro-choice woman who respects the rights of other women to hold different views," wrote another WSFT member Carol, from Vermont. "More specifically I expect the government, in compliance with the Constitution, to protect every person from being coerced into acting in a manner contrary to his or her conscience. The HHS mandates are a fundamental violation of our rights to free speech and religion." Hundreds more women wrote to WSFT to express their strong opposition to the message of the Saturday rally.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV