RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK, N.C., Aug. 9, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Tranzyme Pharma (Nasdaq:TZYM), a biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering, developing and commercializing novel, first-in-class small molecule therapeutics for the treatment of gastrointestinal (GI) motility disorders, today announced its financial results and business update for the second quarter ended June 30, 2012.
"We are very pleased that patient enrollment in our 12-week Phase 2b trial evaluating TZP-102 for diabetic gastroparesis is complete, and we are on target to announce top-line study results by year-end," said Vipin K. Garg, Ph.D., President and CEO of Tranzyme Pharma. "Diabetic gastroparesis affects millions of people worldwide, yet there are no safe and effective treatments available to them. With the incidence of diabetes on the rise, it is expected that the prevalence of gastroparesis in these patients will rise correspondingly."
Select Second Quarter 2012 Financial ResultsTotal revenue for the second quarter of 2012 was $2.4 million compared to $3.0 million in the same period last year. The decrease in revenue was primarily due to changes in the amortization period for deferred revenue from the upfront licensing fee received from our collaboration with Bristol-Myers Squibb Company. Research and development expenses were $5.5 million in the second quarter 2012 as compared to $5.7 million for the same period in 2011. The decrease was primarily due to a decrease in expenses incurred for Phase 3 clinical trials and registration efforts for ulimorelin offset by an increase in expenses for the Phase 2b clinical trial for TZP-102. General and administrative expenses were $1.9 million in the second quarter of 2012 versus $1.3 million in the same period last year, reflecting increased expenses relating to pre-commercialization market research and corporate governance activities. The Company reported a consolidated net loss of $5.6 million compared to $4.4 million for the second quarter of 2011. Cash and cash equivalents at June 30, 2012 were approximately $36.4 million. Recent Developments TZP-102 Phase 2b Trial Enrollment Completion
- The Company recently completed patient enrollment in the Phase 2b 12-week trial of its first-in-class, oral, gastrointestinal (GI) motility drug candidate, TZP-102. The trial is being conducted in patients suffering from diabetic gastroparesis, a chronic, often life-altering GI condition affecting both type 1 and type 2 diabetic patients. Preliminary top-line data are expected by year-end 2012.
- The Company recently announced the termination of the License Agreement dated as of June 11, 2010 by and between Tranzyme and Norgine, B.V. regarding the development and commercialization of Tranzyme's product candidate, ulimorelin. The termination will become effective on October 19, 2012.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV