AMES, Iowa, Aug. 14, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- NewLink Genetics Corporation (Nasdaq:NLNK), a biopharmaceutical company focused on discovering, developing and commercializing cancer therapeutics, today reported consolidated financial results for the second quarter of 2012, and provided an update on the progress of its clinical development programs.
"Data from the Phase 2 study of our HyperAcute pancreatic cancer immunotherapy was successfully presented at two major conferences and continues to support our Phase 3 study design," commented Dr. Charles Link, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of NewLink. "We are well past the halfway point in our pivotal trial in pancreatic cancer and we expect to reach the triggering point for our first interm analysis in the first quarter of 2013 and to complete patient enrollment in 2013."
Dr. Nicholas Vahanian NewLink's President and Chief Medical Officer added; "Recent positive data from Phase 2 studies in three different HyperAcute cancer immunotherapies have given us confidence to move forward aggressively in the clinical development of multiple therapies derived from this platform."The second quarter 2012 Financial Results
- Cash, cash equivalents and certificates of deposit totaled $31.1 million at June 30, 2012.
- Total grant revenues for the second quarter 2012 were $590,000 compared with $537,000 for the second quarter 2011. Grant revenues will vary depending on the level of research funded under grants as well as changes in the overhead rates and profit factors agreed to under the grants. The increase in revenue was due to increased research under various Department of Defense contracts and National Institutes of Health grants.
- Research and development (R&D) expense for the second quarter 2012 was $4.7 million compared with $3.8 million for the second quarter 2011. The increase was primarily due to increases in personnel-related expenses associated with both increased headcounts and increased compensation levels in addition to increased clinical trial expense associated with an increase in the number of patients enrolled in clinical trials.
- General and administrative (G&A) expense for the second quarter 2012 was $2.2 million compared with $1.1 million for the second quarter 2011. The increase was primarily due to increases in personnel-related expenses as well as increases in professional and Board fees and Directors and Officers insurance premiums associated with our new public company status.
- Net loss for the second quarter 2012 was $6.3 million or $.31 per common share (based on 20.7 million weighted average shares outstanding), compared with $4.4 million, or $1.20 per common share, for the second quarter 2011 (based on 3.6 million weighted average shares outstanding). The difference in the number of weighted average shares outstanding primarily resulted from NewLink's initial public offering in November 2011, as well as the conversion of all preferred stock to common stock in connection with the initial public offering.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV