NEW YORK, Aug. 14, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- NeoStem, Inc. (NYSE MKT:NBS) ("NeoStem" or the "Company") today announced second quarter results and provided a business update. NeoStem is rapidly emerging as a market leader in the fast growing cell therapy market. The Company's multifaceted business strategy combines a state-of-the-art contract development and manufacturing organization (CDMO) with a medically important cell therapy product development program providing for near- and long-term revenue growth opportunities.
- Since the announcement on June 18 th of NeoStem's definitive agreement to divest its majority holdings in Erye and focus on its CDMO and cell therapy product development businesses, the Company's publicly traded Common Stock price has increased over 50% raising its market cap to $109 million as of August 10, 2012.
- NeoStem expects to receive $12.3 million in cash and further bolster its balance sheet by removing $35 million in short- and long-term debt obligations through the divestiture of Erye. Fifty percent of the cash price has now been received directly or is in escrow and closing is expected to occur over the next 6-10 weeks.
- Through warrant exercises and equity sales, NeoStem has raised $17.6 million year to date in 2012. Additionally, management has efficiently managed its use of cash with net cash losses of $9.9 million (see reconciliation below). To further cost savings and effectively service the U.S. and Canadian markets with timely and responsive services, the Company closed its Boston, MA facility and has consolidated these operations into its cellular therapy operations in Allendale, NJ (30,000 sq.') and Mountain View, CA (25,000 sq.').
- Revenues from continuing operations grew 95% for the six months ended June 30, 2012 compared to the prior year period. This growth is primarily due to the increased overall visibility of Progenitor Cell Therapy ("PCT"), PCT's penetration into the cell therapy marketplace, and enhanced investment by NeoStem into the business.
- NeoStem is continuing to enroll patients into the PreSERVE Phase 2 clinical trial in the U.S. for post AMI (acute myocardial infarction) patients and anticipates completing enrolment in 2013 with 6 months initial data readout near the end of 2013. Peak annual worldwide sales of AMR-001 for this indication are estimated to be over $1 billion based upon a conservative market penetration of the qualified target patient population.
- NeoStem continues to strengthen its scientific, operations and business management teams, with the recent additions of Martin Schmieg, Vice President, Corporate Development, and Jonathan Sackner-Bernstein, MD, FACC , Vice President of Clinical Development and Regulatory Affairs.
Progress Report on Erye DivestitureAs of today, NeoStem has received directly or into escrow $6.2 million representing 50% of the total $12.3 million cash purchase price. The divestiture of Erye will also return approximately 1,040,000 shares of the Company's Common Stock and cancel 1,170,000 Common Stock options and 640,000 Common Stock warrants.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV