REDWOOD CITY, Calif., Aug. 13, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Cyberbullying has become a serious concern for parents and school officials. No wonder, with surveys such as Pew Internet and American Life Survey showing 33% of teens have been subjects of cyberbullying, and worse, others that say cyberbullying is rapidly increasing among kids and pre-teens.
The Personal Technology Experts at Support.com (Nasdaq:SPRT), a provider of technology services and software for consumers and small businesses, offer these 4 tips to give parents with young children a head start on preventing cyberbullying:
About Support.com Support.com, Inc. (Nasdaq:SPRT) provides technology services and software for consumers and small businesses. Support.com® Personal Technology Experts provide a quick, cost-effective and stress-free technology support experience over the Internet and the phone using the Company's advanced technology platform. Support.com also offers a wide range of easy-to-use software products that detect and repair common computer problems and optimize performance and security. Support.com offers programs through many of the nation's leading retailers, broadband service providers and technology companies, and provides software to over a million consumers and small businesses. For more information please visit us at: www.support.com , www.facebook.com/support.com , or http://twitter.com/support_com . The Support.com, Inc. logo is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=11893 Support.com, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information, visit http://www.support.com/about/careers . Copyright © 2012 Support.com, Inc. All rights reserved. Support.com and Personal Technology Experts are trademarks or registered trademarks of Support.com, Inc. in the U.S. and other countries. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.
1. Educate Your Child: Kids are perfect targets for cyberbullying, as oftentimes the perpetrator is anonymous and will use methods like email and text messages, or the posting of private information, lies, and other misinformation on popular social sites. Reinforce to your child general safety rules and common practices when using the Internet, coupled with an open and frank conversation about cyerbullying, signs to look out for, and an explanation of why it can happen to them.2. Shadow Them Online: If your kids are members of social networking websites, then signup, "friend" or "follow" them to know what they are posting, sharing, and receiving from others. Your grade-school child may not like this at first, but try to explain that this is for their own safety and not about snooping on them. 3. Set Rules: Kids can access the Internet at home, school, friend's house, library, or on their mobile devices. Be sure to set rules and guidelines for how long and when your child can use the Internet. Also, make use of parental control software and Internet safety tools to filter and manage Internet usage on PCs and devices. 4. Report it to Authorities: If your child becomes a victim of cyberbullying, report it immediately to local law enforcement agencies, their school, (even the Internet service provider who delivered it). Popular social sites like Twitter ( https://support.twitter.com/forms/abusiveuser ) and Facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/report ) have dedicated pages that make it easy to report incidents. You can also report all incidents to the U.S. Department of Justice: ( http://www.justice.gov/crt/complaint/#three ).
CONTACT: Media Contact Seth Geisler Martin Levy Public Relations, Inc. (858) 610-9860 email@example.com www.martinlevypr.com http://www.linkedin.com/in/martinlevypr https://twitter.com/#!/MartinLevyPR
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.