SALT LAKE CITY, Aug. 14, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Myriad Genetics, Inc. (Nasdaq:MYGN) today announced results for its fourth quarter and fiscal year ending June 30, 2012. Revenue for the fourth fiscal quarter increased 24 percent over the same period in the prior year to $133.0 million and resulted in fiscal year 2012 revenue of $496.0 million, an increase of 23 percent over fiscal 2011. Fourth fiscal quarter diluted earnings per share were $0.34, an increase of 14 percent over the same period of the prior year. Fiscal 2012 diluted earnings per share equaled $1.30, an increase of 18 percent year-over-year.
"Myriad achieved record revenue and operating profits last year," said Peter D. Meldrum, President and Chief Executive Officer of Myriad Genetics, Inc. "We are committed to building on this strong performance in fiscal 2013 as we continue to execute on our strategic directives: to grow existing tests and markets, to expand internationally and to launch new tests, including companion diagnostics, across a diverse set of major disease indications."
Fourth Fiscal Quarter 2012 Results
- Molecular diagnostic testing revenue in the fourth fiscal quarter equaled $127.5 million, an increase of 21 percent compared to the prior year period. Revenue from the Oncology segment equaled $87.0 million, an increase of 16 percent over the fourth fiscal quarter of 2011. Women's Health revenue totaled $40.5 million, an increase of 32 percent over the same period in the prior year.
- Revenue from the BRAC Analysis ® test, which represented 81.7 percent of total revenue in the fourth quarter, was $108.7 million, a 17 percent increase over the same period of the prior year.
- Revenue from the COLARIS ® and COLARIS AP ® tests, which represented 8.7 percent of total revenue during the quarter, was $11.5 million, an increase of 51 percent compared to the same fiscal quarter of the prior year.
- Myriad's other molecular diagnostic tests contributed $7.3 million to fourth quarter revenue, or 5.5 percent of total revenue, an increase of 47 percent over the same period in the prior year.
- Companion diagnostic service revenue in the fourth fiscal quarter equaled $5.5 million and represented 4.1 percent of total company revenue. Revenue in the fourth fiscal quarter of 2011 equaled $2.0 million as the Company acquired this business in May 2011.
- Operating income was $47.3 million, an increase of 13 percent from the prior year period. This level of operating income included the impact of increased investment in research and development to support existing molecular diagnostic tests and future products, as well as investments for international expansion and Myriad RBM.
- Net income for the fourth fiscal quarter was $29.1 million, an increase of 12 percent over the $26.0 million reported in same period of the prior year.
- During the quarter the Company repurchased 2.6 million shares or $61.0 million of its common stock, resulting in an average price of $23.70, under its previously announced stock repurchase program. Fourth fiscal quarter diluted weighted average shares outstanding were 86.3 million as compared to 88.1 million in the same period of the prior year.
- Days sales outstanding for Myriad's accounts receivable improved to 41 days, compared with 43 days in the same period of the prior year and bad debt expense was 5.5 percent of total revenue.
- Fiscal 2012 molecular diagnostic testing revenue equaled $472.4 million, an increase of 18 percent compared to the prior year. Revenue from the Oncology segment equaled $327.6 million, an increase of 16 percent over fiscal 2011. Women's Health revenue totaled $144.8 million, an increase of 24 percent over the prior year.
- Revenue from the BRAC Analysis test was $405.5 million, an increase of 15 percent over the prior year.
- Revenue from the COLARIS and COLARIS AP tests was $43.3 million, an increase of 48 percent compared to the prior year.
- Myriad's other molecular diagnostic tests contributed $23.6 million to fiscal 2012 revenue, an increase of 32 percent over the prior year.
- Companion diagnostic service revenue in the fiscal 2012 equaled $23.6 million. Revenue in fiscal 2011 equaled $2.0 million as the Company acquired this business in May 2011.
- Operating income was $180.3 million, an increase of 14 percent from the prior year. Investment in research and development increased 54 percent versus the prior year and investments in the Company's international expansion and Myriad RBM lead to a 23 percent increase in sales, general and administrative expense.
- Net income for the fiscal year was $112.2 million, an increase of 11 percent over the $100.7 million reported in the prior year.
- During the fiscal year the Company repurchased 5.7 million shares or $128.5 million of its common stock, resulting in an average price of $22.59, under its previously announced stock repurchase program. Diluted weighted average shares outstanding were 86.5 million as compared to 91.7 million in the prior year.
- The Company ended the fiscal year with $454.2 million in cash, cash equivalents and marketable investment securities. The Company has no debt or other restrictions on its cash.
- Entered into a loan and acquisition option agreement with Crescendo Bioscience, under which Myriad made a $25 million strategic debt investment in Crescendo to secure an exclusive, three-year option to acquire the company. The potential acquisition of Crescendo Bioscience, if completed, would expand the Company's portfolio of molecular diagnostic products to include products for autoimmune disorders, such as rheumatoid arthritis.
- Established subsidiaries and sales offices in Germany, France, Spain, Italy and Switzerland, as well as laboratory operations in Germany.
- Published a study in the British Journal of Cancer which highlighted the ability of the Company's Prolaris® test to significantly predict prostate cancer aggressiveness and consequent death from the disease.
- Presented a study at the 27 th Annual EAU Congress, and the 2012 Genitourinary Cancers Symposium, which concluded that the Company's Prolaris test demonstrated significant and unique prognostic ability in men who had undergone radical prostatectomy and accurately predicted their elevated risk for prostate cancer recurrence.
- Presented a study at the 2012 ASCO Annual Meeting that demonstrated that the Company's lung cancer prognostic test significantly predicted cancer-specific death in early stage adenocarcinoma lung cancer patients.
- Acquired an exclusive license to intellectual property covering the analysis of the RAD51C gene for risk of hereditary breast and ovarian cancer.
- Entered into companion diagnostic agreements with Cephalon Inc., a subsidiary of Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., and Pharma Mar to conduct companion diagnostic testing for their clinical trials.
- Presented a study at the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium which demonstrated that the BRAC Analysis test is a cost-effective intervention for a much larger group of unaffected women than current guidelines would suggest.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV