OAKLAND, Calif., Aug. 14, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Scientific Learning Corporation (Nasdaq:SCIL), a leading provider of technologies for accelerated learning, today announced financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2012.
Total revenue in the second quarter of 2012 was $7.1 million, compared to $12.4 million in the second quarter of 2011. Total booked sales for the second quarter were $7.1 million, compared to $10.1 million in the second quarter of 2011. Adjusted EBITDA was a loss of $(2.4) million in the second quarter of 2012 compared to a gain of $1.7 million in the second quarter of 2011. Net loss in the second quarter of 2012 was $(3.1) million, or $(0.14) per share, compared to net income of $884,000, or $0.05 per share, in the second quarter of 2011.
"Although we don't envision the market conditions drastically changing, we're encouraged by the progress we're making in the business transition. Educational leaders recognize the need to improve student achievement, and technology is one of the leading ways to get quick results without needing more teachers and classrooms," said Bob Bowen, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. "Interest levels in MySciLearn are strong and the need for our products is high among K-12 schools. We're seeing a dramatic increase in customers on the new platform, with over half of our customer base converted to MySciLearn. Also, the number of active school sites increased 11% over last year to 3413 sites. As we complete our 90 day review process and look to the second half of the year, we will continue to focus on sales execution and aligning our cost structure."Second Quarter 2012 Operating Metrics:
- K-12 transaction volume increased 15% over second quarter 2011
- Subscription revenue increased 140% over second quarter 2011
- As of June 30, 2012, over 50% of the Company's active K-12 school sites are accessing Fast ForWord via the new on-demand, SaaS platform known as MySciLEARN
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV