ATHENS, Greece, Aug. 17, 2012 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- STEALTHGAS INC. (Nasdaq:GASS), a ship-owning company primarily serving the liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) sector of the international shipping industry, announced today its unaudited financial and operating results for the second quarter and six months ended June 30, 2012.
- Net income for the three months ended June 30, 2012 was $7.2 million, or $0.35 per share, compared to a net loss of $3.6 million, or $(0.17) per share, for the three months ended June 30, 2011. Lower voyage and operating costs, gain on sale of vessel and a lower derivative loss has resulted in the net income being higher despite revenues being lower.
- Voyage revenues for the three months ended June 30, 2012, amounted to $29.1 million, a decrease of $2.3 million, or 7.3%, compared to voyage revenues of $31.4 million for the three months ended June 30, 2011. The decrease in revenues was firstly due to the lower number of vessels in the fleet and secondly due to more of the vessels operating under bareboat charters in the 2012 period.
- Voyage expenses and vessels' operating expenses for the three months ended June 30, 2012 were $2.7 million and $7.5 million, respectively, compared to $5.3 million and $9.9 million for the three months ended June 30, 2011. The $2.6 million, or 49.1%, decrease in voyage expenses was due primarily to the lower number of vessels under spot charters in the 2012 period. The $2.4 million, or 24.2%, decrease in vessels' operating expenses was due primarily to the higher number of vessels operating under bareboat charters in the 2012 period.
- Included in the second quarter 2012 results are net losses from interest rate derivative instruments of $0.3 million. This amount includes $1.1 million, or $0.05 per share, of interest paid on recurring interest rate swap arrangements. The Company also realized a $0.1 million gain on sale of vessel. Adjusted net income was $6.5 million or $0.31 per share compared to $3.4 million or $0.16 per share for the same period last year.
- EBITDA for the three months ended June 30, 2012 amounted to $16.5 million. Reconciliations of Adjusted Net Income and EBITDA to Net Income are set forth below.