Ford's Italy sales slipped 30%, while Russia sales gained 13%. The company said overall auto sales for both July and year-to-date through July were at their lowest levels since 1995.
The company remains the second best-selling brand in Europe, for both the month and year-to-date. July sales in its traditional 19 European markets fell 12.3% to 83,100 vehicles, while year-to-date sales are down 10.6% to 700,200. For all automakers in the the region, July sales fell 7.6% to 1.1 million, while year-to-date sales are down 7% to 8.8 million.
Ford's July market share in Europe was 7.7%."Overall industry sales remain very weak across much of Europe given the economic environment," said Roelant de Waard, Ford of Europe vice president for marketing, sales and services, in a prepared statement. "The pricing environment continues to be very aggressive, so it's very important to have a strong line-up of fresh and innovative cars and commercial vehicles that really resonate with customers. In the UK, Ford's largest European market, Ford July sales rose 2% to 24,300. In Germany, Ford's second largest market, Ford sales fell 7% to 19,300. In Russia, sales gained 13% to 10,400. In Turkey, sales fell 14% to 8,700. In Italy, sales fell 30% to 8,300. During Ford's second quarter earnings call, the company's executives pledged to take action in Europe, where the automaker expects to lose $1 billion this year. "We absolutely have overcapacity now," said CEO Alan Mulally, responding to a reporter's question about European overcapacity. "We are assuming this is a structural issue not a cyclical issue. It's not going to come back ... We're bringing production down because demand is not there." The company has not yet identified where production cuts will be made. -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Ted Reed >Contact by Email. Follow @treednc
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV