Road to Retirement Shouldn't Be Paved With Stocks
NEW YORK ( BankingMyWay) -- Talk to any financial adviser about how to save for retirement and you'll get two instructions: save as much as you can, and focus on asset allocation -- your portfolio's diversification between stocks, bonds and cash.
But a new academic study finds this to be misplaced emphasis. Advisers should be preaching the bigger, more dependable benefits of working longer, trimming spending and planning on using a reverse mortgage, the research suggests.
On the plus side, this means many people have more control over their financial fate than they think, because they're less dependent on the whims of the stock market and can rely a bit more on safe holdings like bank savings that make it easier to sleep at night. The downside, of course, is that spending less and working to 70 isn't so appealing.
Researchers at the Center For Retirement Research at Boston College, Alicia H. Munnell, Natalia Orlova and Anthony Webb, ran three simulations to find out how different retirement strategies would benefit thousands of people who have been under study since the 1990s."Our answer from all three exercises suggests that the focus on asset allocation is misplaced," the
A careful look at
Where to keep
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV