BROOMFIELD, Colo. (AP) â¿¿ Ball Corp. plans to end production at its metal beverage packaging plants in Columbus, Ohio, and Gainesville, Fla., by the end of the year, affecting about 235 employees.
Executive Raymond J. Seabrook said Wednesday the moves come as demand for standard 12-ounce beverage cans shrinks and demand for specialty beverage can packaging grows. The Columbus plant makes standard 12-ounce cans while the Gainesville plant makes beverage can ends for standard can sizes.
Ball expects to record a total after-tax charge of about $30 million in the third quarter, primarily for employee severance and benefits, facility shutdown costs and other actions.
Broomfield, Colo.-based Ball says the roughly 110 plant employees in Columbus and 125 employees in Gainesville can apply for open positions at Ball.Ball employs more than 14,500 people worldwide.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV