Be warned that Big Brother's keen electronic eye can give most of his Chinese content providers a limited edge in the financial markets.
The country's Internet content providers are geared toward Chinese tastes and audiences. Granted, that's a user base of more than half a billion people. But most providers are not tooled to go places globally the way Google and Yahoo can, ensuring customer diversity normally key to business survival.
Like successful firms in industries across China, Internet content providers also face competition from a growing crowd of newer, me-too ICPs.
But some clearly stand out. Twelve-year-old Baidu, for example, has gone past China with services in Arabic and Thai, plus a subsidiary in Japan. It opened a Singapore research center this to help extend its search engine and other Web services to Southeast Asia.Tencent, started in 1999, bought a stake in U.S.-based Epic Games in June and already runs a version in English, among other languages, of its QQ instant messaging service. No immediate need to censor their stocks from your portfolio. This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV