James Governor, Redmonk cofounder, said: "As consumer expectations soar in the age of the app store and the smart device, traditional telco subscriber relationships are breaking down, and being replaced by API-driven business models. Alcatel Lucent is providing API management tools and expertise to directly address this change, with service exposure, packaging and next generation network capabilities."
Managing APIs as a key strategic asset for future growthTo be successful, service providers must make a long-term commitment to an API strategy. Whether they are in the early stages of deciding what to do or in the more sophisticated phase of optimizing operations, Alcatel-Lucent's flexible methodology follows three phases of Definition, Design and Deployment. Each phase can be offered on a standalone basis or combined depending on where the service provider is with their current API strategy.
- Definition - establishing appropriate business objectives and matching evaluation parameters by looking at what can be done with service provider network assets as well as looking at what the competitors are doing with theirs. This also involves defining the most compelling services for consumers and businesses alike, which can then be used to create the most lucrative business models.
- Design - focusing on API design and creation. In this phase API's are created for developers from business assets and services ensuring the technology choices match overall business goals, the standardization of API libraries, as well as standardized error handling, and the creation of developer-friendly example code. Standardization is a requirement for the success of developers and the overall program.
- Deployment - focusing on how services are deployed and then undergoing continuous analysis and improvement through to end-of-life. This phase also includes complete back-end systems integration, testing and production deployment as well as performance optimization to assure that metrics are being met along the way. In the deployment phase the major emphasis for service providers shifts from the quality of the developer experience to that of the ultimate user of the application, the consumer.
Hear Laura Merling discuss the API consulting and professional services practice and methodology lifecycle on a brief audiocast.
ABOUT ALCATEL-LUCENT (EURONEXT PARIS AND NYSE: ALU) The long-trusted partner of service providers, enterprises and governments around the world, Alcatel-Lucent is a leading innovator in the field of networking and communications technology, products and services. The company is home to Bell Labs, one of the world's foremost research centers, responsible for breakthroughs that have shaped the networking and communications industry. Alcatel-Lucent was named one of MIT Technology Review's 2012 Top 50 list of the "World's Most Innovative Companies" for breakthroughs such as lightRadio™, which cuts power consumption and operating costs on wireless networks while delivering lightning fast Internet access. Through such innovations, Alcatel-Lucent is making communications more sustainable, more affordable and more accessible as we pursue our mission - Realizing the Potential of a Connected World.With operations in more than 130 countries and one of the most experienced global services organizations in the industry, Alcatel-Lucent is a local partner with global reach. The Company achieved revenues of Euro 15.3 billion in 2011 and is incorporated in France and headquartered in Paris. For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com, read the latest posts on the Alcatel-Lucent blog http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/blog and follow the Company on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Alcatel_Lucent. SOURCE Alcatel-Lucent
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV