GE's Gas Engine Technology At The Bitburger Brewery Plant In Germany Converts Biogas Into Electricity, Steam And Hot Water To Meet The Brewery's Process Requirements.(Photo: Business Wire)
Powered by GE (NYSE: GE) gas engine technology, a combined heat and power (CHP) plant at Germany’s Bitburger Brauerei (brewery) has surpassed 50,000 hours of successful operation. Based on an ecomagination-qualified Jenbacher J312 gas engine, the plant converts biogas (gas produced by biological breakdown of organic matter) into electricity, steam and hot water to meet the brewery’s process requirements.
Since it began operating in 2005, the CHP facility has improved electricity supply for the brewery, reduced carbon dioxide emissions by an equivalent of 10,000 tons and demonstrated higher efficiency and economy compared to the site’s previous steam boiler technology by using biogas.
Biogas, created as by-product during the wastewater treatment process following beer production, is burned by the Jenbacher engine to produce electricity and heat. This efficient operation has enabled the brewery to realize prime energy savings of about 10 percent. The project is an example of GE’s ecomagination commitment to provide innovative solutions that maximize resources, drive efficiencies and help make the world work better.
“The use of GE’s Jenbacher CHP technology enables us to meet our energy and environmental goals while also reducing costs. The project builds on a strong relationship between our companies that has included the purchase of several Jenbacher engines during the past 20 years,” said Dr. Johannes Hankes, head of central engineering of the Bitburger Brewery. “For example, two of GE’s Jenbacher engines are installed near the Jenbacher J312 gas engine, operating in mechanical drive applications.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV