The Bon-Ton Stores, Inc. (NASDAQ: BONT) today reported results for the second quarter of fiscal 2012 ended July 28, 2012.
Second Quarter Highlights
- Comparable store sales increased 0.1%.
- Gross margin rate was 36.0% compared with 37.2% in the second quarter of fiscal 2011.
- Operating loss, which includes a $4.0 million charge for severance and other one-time costs related to targeted reductions to the Company’s cost structure, totaled $17.6 million, compared with an operating loss of $11.8 million in the second quarter of fiscal 2011.
- EBITDA, inclusive of the aforementioned $4.0 million of severance and other one-time costs, was $7.1 million, compared with $15.6 million in the second quarter of fiscal 2011. EBITDA is not a measure recognized under generally accepted accounting principles (see Note 1).
- Net loss totaled $45.0 million, or $2.43 per diluted share, compared with a net loss of $32.3 million, or $1.78 per diluted share, for the second quarter of fiscal 2011. The results for the second quarter of fiscal 2012 include a pre-tax charge of $6.3 million, or $0.34 per diluted share, for fees associated with the recently completed exchange of $330 million of the Company’s 10¼% Senior Notes due 2014 for new 10⅝% Second Lien Senior Secured Notes due 2017 and a pre-tax charge of $4.0 million, or $0.21 per diluted share, for the aforementioned severance and other one-time costs.
Brendan Hoffman, President and Chief Executive Officer, commented, “In the second quarter, we continued to identify and implement initiatives to improve our business. While the financial results were below last year, we are encouraged by the progress we have made in several areas, including merchandising, eCommerce and marketing. We saw significant improvement in the Ladies Ready-to-Wear businesses, particularly Moderate Traditional Sportswear, and strong results in Cosmetics, Shoes and Home, including Furniture. We were particularly pleased with favorable customer response to new offerings, reflecting recent adjustments in our merchandise assortments. In addition, customers are responding extremely well to new marketing messages that clearly communicate the value we offer. Our disciplined expense management efforts in the second quarter have us on track to achieve the expense reductions that were discussed in last quarter’s earnings release.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV