Pall Corporation ( NYSE:PLL) today announced that the U.S. Navy, under the Office of Naval Research (ONR), has contracted with Pall for a multi-phase project to develop an advanced shipboard desalination system specifically for the challenging operations in coastal waters. Pall will create a detailed design for Navy ship water treatment that will increase the volume and reliability of fresh water generation while reducing energy and maintenance requirements.
Whether participating in active maneuvers or returning to shore, military vessels require highly-reliable water treatment systems to meet the demand for fresh water. In addition to being energy and resource intensive, traditional sea water desalination technologies are often unreliable. Further, coastal sea water can be especially difficult to treat due to extremely high concentrations of suspended solids, as well as biological and organic contaminants. The Navy also limits chemical usage on ships, creating restrictions to approaches used in land-based desalination plants. The system to be provided to the Navy, which will include Pall’s proven hollow-fiber microfiltration (MF) and reverse osmosis (RO) membranes, will address these concerns.
“Pall is honored to be selected to design customized, automated MF and RO technologies for the U.S. Navy,” said Vince Northfield, the newly appointed president of Pall Aerospace. “Our engineers and scientists will bring the experience of developing and commissioning hundreds of membrane systems worldwide to this project.”
During the first six-month phase of the project, Pall scientists will adapt the latest membrane technologies to design a solution capable of producing 4,000 gallons per day of potable water. In the year-long second phase of the program, a prototype system will be developed and tested on land. In the final 18-month phase, a fully compliant system will be tested for six months on a naval ship.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV