Hot Topic, Inc. Reports 2nd Quarter Financial Results
Hot Topic, Inc. (Nasdaq Global Select Market: HOTT) reported results for its second quarter of fiscal 2012 (13 weeks) ended July 28, 2012.
The company reported a net loss in the second fiscal quarter of $0.8 million, or $0.02 per share, compared to a net loss of $6.2 million, or $0.14 per share, for the comparable period last year. The results for the second quarter of 2011 include $4.1 million of expenses, or $0.06 per share, for the implementation of the strategic business changes and cost reduction plan. On a non-GAAP basis, which excludes these charges, the second quarter of 2011 results were a net loss of $0.08 per share. Refer to GAAP to non-GAAP reconciliation below.
Total sales for the second quarter of fiscal 2012 increased 4.6% to $157.8 million compared to $150.9 million for the second quarter last year. Total company comparable sales increased 3.9% for the second quarter of fiscal 2012.
“This was a strong quarter, with improved merchandising, markdown optimization, and other productivity initiatives showing great results at Hot Topic and Torrid,” said Lisa Harper, Chairman and CEO of Hot Topic, Inc. “We’re also pleased with the progress at Torrid, where we’ve rolled out a comprehensive, well-differentiated rebrand over the last couple of weeks. We believe our sexy, fashion-forward point of view will help drive continued improvement for the brand and the company overall.”At the end of the second quarter of fiscal 2012, the company operated 620 Hot Topic stores and 171 Torrid stores compared to 636 Hot Topic stores and 145 Torrid stores at the end of second quarter of fiscal 2011. During the second quarter of fiscal 2012, the company opened one Hot Topic store and ten Torrid stores and closed five Hot Topic stores and three Torrid stores. The company also remodeled or relocated twenty Hot Topic stores and four Torrid stores during the quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV