FORT SMITH, Ark., Aug. 15, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- ABF ® drivers Robert Sutton and Rick Camarda earned recognition at the 75 th National Truck Driving Championships in Minneapolis, Minn., August 7-11, 2012. Sutton won National Rookie of the Year, while Camarda placed second in the five-axle class.
Professional drivers earn the right to compete in the National Championships by winning state driving championships and by maintaining accident-free driving records for the preceding year. Sutton competed as the Idaho State Champion in the 3-Axle Class, while Camarda competed as California's Five-Axle Champion. The two were part of an ABF team of 24 drivers, including two-time National Champion Tony Spero (2006, 2009). The team also included Grand Champions from their respective states: Spero, Connecticut; Chuck Smetzer, Maryland; and Kent Jones, Oklahoma.
Domiciled in Ontario, Ore., Sutton has recorded nearly 350,000 accident-free miles. Camarda, a three-time competitor in the national event, is domiciled in Sacramento. His record includes driving more than 18,000 hours accident free.
"Earning the right to compete in the National Truck Driving Championship is an honor in itself, and we are proud of entire team of ABF drivers that competed in Minneapolis," said ABF President and CEO Roy Slagle. "Everyone at ABF greatly appreciates the dedication and hard work of these driving professionals. It is due to their commitment and leadership that ABF has a well-earned reputation as a trusted supply-chain partner."Known informally as the Super Bowl of Safety, the annual event is sponsored by the Safety and Loss Prevention Management Council of the American Trucking Associations. The goal is to promote driving safety among the nation's three million professional truck drivers. The comprehensive competitions include written examinations, pre-trip inspections and demonstrations of braking, parking, backing and maneuvering skills.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV