Updated with comments from Pepper Hamilton attorney Frank Mayer.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Home flippers beware: Federal bank regulators are getting tough on appraisal requirements for properties that are quickly resold.
As required under the Dodd-Frank banking reform legislation, federal regulators -- including the Federal Reserve, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., the National Credit Union Administration, and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau -- proposed a strict set of appraisal requirements for "higher-risk" mortgages.
The "higher-risk mortgages" subject to the new appraisal rules are loans with rates that are:
- 1.5 or more percentage points higher than "the average prime offer rate (APOR) for a comparable transaction as of the date the interest rate is set," for a first-lien loans with balances not exceeding 80% of the home's value, for a one-to-four family dwelling, with some exceptions.
- 2.5 or more percentage points higher than the APOR for a first-lien loans with balances exceeding 80% of the home's value.
- 3.5 or more percentage points higher than the APOR for a second-lien mortgage loan, or for a reverse mortgage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV