Dean Foods (DF), on the other hand, is a food processing stock that's showing some stellar performance in 2012. So far this year, shares of the $3 billion company have rallied 47%. Dean is the biggest dairy processor and distributor in the country, with more than 50 brands and a private label business providing milk products under customers' marques.
Dairy is a fragmented business, and Dean Foods is the biggest name in town. Because the firm is so large, management has decided to unlock some shareholder value by spinning off a portion of its premium division, WhiteWave-Alpro, which owns popular brands like Horizon Organic and Silk soymilk. The unit's fast growth should help DF collect a high multiple in an IPO scenario, generating ample cash that the firm plans to use to decrease its debt load.Relative strength has been stellar for Dean in 2012, a positive factor that statistically tends to continue to be a boost to shares. Early-filing hedge funds have been working to take advantage of that tailwind, more than doubling their ownership by buying 7.02 million shares of Dean Foods. Dean Foods was one of the 10 Best-Performing S&P 500 Stocks in the Second Quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV