BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- Hedge funds love consumer stocks. All told, hedge fund managers piled onto names in the consumer discretionary and staple stocks, hiking their positions in consumer stocks by almost twice as much as their next-favorite sectors.
Today, we're taking a look at five of the smart money's favorite consumer names - and whether they still make sense to buy.
Consumer names have lagged the broad market in 2012, delivering 5.11% versus close to 10% from the S&P 500 year-to-date. But that doesn't exactly tell the whole story. The non-cyclical consumer names may come with lesser returns this year, but they're also delivering a whole lot less volatility and a set of hefty dividends. Of the individual consumer-focused names that we saw get piled into the most in the second quarter, nearly all were defensive.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV