In corporate news Wednesday, Target (TGT) shares rose 1.8% after the retailer raised its full-year guidance.
JDS Uniphase (JDSU) shares surged more than 8% after the optical networker reported fiscal fourth-quarter non-GAAP earnings of $35.3 million, or 15 cents a share on revenue of $439.3 million. Analysts forecast a profit of 12 cents a share in the June-ended period on revenue of $422.6 million.
Shares of Staples (SPLS) fell 15% after the office products company posted worse than expected quarterly results on soft demand in North America, Europe and Australia. The company has slashed its full-year earnings and sales projections.
Starbucks (SBUX) shares gained 3.6% after Credit Suisse added the coffee company's shares to its U.S. focus list, saying it sees the stock as a compelling long-term growth story.Deere (DE) shares tumbled 6.3% after the manufacturer reported quarterly net income substantially missed analysts' estimates as it felt the pressures of a cooling world economy and the protracted U.S. drought. The New York Times Co. (NYT) named Mark Thompson as its next president and CEO. Thompson most recently served as director general of the British Broadcasting Corp. Shares rose 1.4%.
2012 Stock Predictions and Outlook
|Your one-stop shop for 2012 stock recommendations and market predictions.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV