NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The major U.S. equity averages finished mixed in moribund trading Wednesday with volume once again running extremely light.
August has seen trading in stocks sink to the lowest levels in five years and Wednesday's session saw a similar lack of interest with just 2.65 billion shares changing hands on the New York Stock Exchange and 1.54 billion in play on the Nasdaq.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average was down 7 points, or 0.06%, to close at 13,165. The blue-chip index ranged less than 55 points on the day.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV