The current economic climate has curbed many investors’ appetites for risk, according to a recent survey released by TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation (NYSE: AMTD). When asked what, if any, changes they made to the way they’ve invested in the markets over the past six months, 34 percent of investors surveyed said they had taken on less risk. That’s compared to 22 percent who answered the same just three months ago.
Looking ahead to the next three months, 47 percent of investors said their outlook for investing conditions in the U.S. stock market is “optimistic,” compared to 66 percent who said the same back in April.
As investors pause, they reflect back on the things they wish they would have done differently. If they could go back to a time before the recession of 2008-2009, many investors would have changed the way they managed their money. Specifically:
- 71 percent report they would have spent less and saved more
- 65 percent report they would have lived within their means
- 60 percent report they would have taken more personal responsibility for managing their money
Perhaps attempting to pacify these regrets, investors continue to feed their retirement accounts. Eighty-six percent (86%) of them said they contributed the same amount as usual or more to their IRA over the past six months.“The slow recovery of the U.S. economy, Europe and its ramifications on global and domestic economies, and the political situation in the U.S. are all weighing heavily on the minds of retail investors,” said Tom Bradley, president of retail distribution, TD Ameritrade, Inc. (“TD Ameritrade”), a broker dealer subsidiary of TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation. “Despite the bearish sentiment, our clients continue to monitor accounts at levels similar to last year, but they’re waiting for a little more clarity on key issues before they completely engage.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV